Monday, December 5, 2011

More Advent

Advent continues at our house. Just to let you know from last week the wrapped books idea went okay. The first day was a little confusing for the girls, but I explained  a little better and they understood. If you don't read my blog a lot and you are confused read my first Advent post. That should help you out!
This week we did some different events. Some were fun and some not so much! We were together as a family for most of them so I think they were worthwhile.
1. We made two Webkinz!
This was Pie Pie's idea. She loves Webkinz and wanted to make one. Sewing is not my thing, my friend usually helps me with those kind of projects. However, I was willing to tackle this and we had an interesting time. They came out pretty cute and the girls loved them. Pants named hers Sugar and Pie Pie named hers GoGo.

Daddy was a little hungry!





No, I will not make one for you too, but feel free to tell me I did a good job!

2. I made a Countdown Calendar.
It is very simple, but it lets my girls know how many days are left until Christmas and what our plans are for the day.



3. We went to a Tree Lighting.
This event was just okay. It was a fun experience, it just took a while to actually light the tree. The girls got bored because we got there too early. If there is a next time we will go a little later. The singing was nice, unfortunately the mic was on someone who sang a little off-key. I know I'm cruel, but maybe they shouldn't have been right in front of the mic!






There was also some shenanigans going on that I can only tell you about in person! Just mention the number three if you really want to know!

4. We went to a Christmas Parade.
It was kind of cheesy but Pants loves parades. I even got up early to go to this one! I am so not a morning person, but I love Pants! Santa waved at us from his golf cart and we saw Mrs. Claus. Santa really does come to our town!






5. We put up our tree.
We do this event in two parts. First we put up our tree with lights, garland and the angel. We put the ornaments on after we celebrate Pie Pie's Birthday on the twelfth. Putting the tree together with Daddy is one of the girls' favorite Christmas events. I'm not sure they would have as much fun with a real tree.









Pants says our tree is beautiful! I have to agree. Do you see my bubble lights? I love them and have to have them!

6. Make an Advent Calendar.
I really, really wanted this neat Advent Calendar with pockets and characters that velcroed onto the picture. Unfortunately we didn't have the cash to buy it in time. I decided to do something even better. We made one! We painted a background on cardboard and are going to add characters each day. So far we have a sheep, stars, donkeys, a parrot, angel and a monkey. I promise Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus will make it to our picture by Christmas! We are getting the stable all ready for them.



I am having a hard time keeping this picture taped to the door! Do you think hot glue would help?! I will try to remember to post a picture of the finished picture!

Now I know that these events don't all exactly point directly to Christ, but my goal is to slow down the Holidays. Even if it's just a little bit! I want to enjoy each day not sprint to the finish line which is Christmas! 
I read in a book recently that reminded me Jesus only had three short years in His public ministry. He never rushed. He took the time for the little things and the big things.
Slow down and take your time!
Christmas will be over before you know it!

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.
Luke 2:10-12



No comments:

Post a Comment