Sunday, December 18, 2011

"R" is for Ready




I found this little selection in the devotional we are reading occasionally during this season of Advent.
It is called A is for Advent
by Steven Molin.

I was late! The guests were due at 6:00 p.m. I got home at five, and began helping Marsha finish the housecleaning. But at about 5:10, the doorbell rang. Apparently, Lauren and Doris thought our staff Christmas party started at 5:00.
Now here is a bit of irony: the house looked great! The tree was beautifully decorated, the table was absolutely gorgeous, the smell of scented candles filled the rooms, and the sounds of Christmas music echoed throughout our home. And there stood Marsh and I in our sweatsuits! The house was ready, but we were not.
How many of us does this describe at this point in Advent? The house is ready, but we're not! The presents are ready, but we're not! The travel arrangements are ready, but we're not! But the guest comes anyway!
John the Baptist urges people to get ready for the coming of the Savior. Not external preparation, but internal. Not the home.....but the heart! You're about a week away from Christmas. Use the time wisely and prepare for His coming. Because, ready or not, here He comes!

I found this very interesting. I hope you will think about what you've read and prepare your heart. I still have some preparing to do myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment