Friday, September 2, 2011

Flavorful Friday

Oatmeal Cranberry Bars



This treat was so yummy it was taste-tested before I got a picture of it!

Topping:
12 oz. of cranberries, washed and drained
1 cup of apple juice ( I used no sugar added apple juice.)
1/2 cup of honey or agave syrup ( I used the agave syrup.)
1 tsp. of cinnamon
pinch of salt

Bar:
3/4 cup of butter
3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups of oats
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup of nuts, chopped

Directions:
1. Put cranberries, honey  or agave syrup, apple juice, salt and cinnamon in pot over high heat until the cranberries start to pop. About five minutes.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook the berries until the liquid is reduced by half. About twenty minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Coat a 9x7x3 pan with cooking spray. ( I couldn't find this type of pan so I used an eleven cup pan.)
5. In a food processor put all of the bar ingredients, except the nuts. Pulse until the butter has been incorporated into dry ingredients. Add the nuts and pulse to combine only.
6. Reserve a half cup of this mixture for the topping. Press the remainder of the oat mixture into the baking pan.
7. Pour the cranberry mixture over the oatmeal mixture, then top with the reserved oat mixture,
8. Bake for forty-five minutes or until golden brown and firm in the middle.  ( I used the eleven cup pan so it took longer to bake, at least ten more minutes.) If you can find the right pan you can cut it into bars. I just left it whole and then we cut out how much we want.
9. I definitely suggest warming it up before you eat it!  It is very yummy and delicious!
10. Enjoy!

My girls wouldn't try this tasty treat! More for me and my husband!!


No comments:

Post a Comment