Sunday, June 12, 2011

"O How They Do Squirm!"

"Nobody likes me.
Everybody hates me.
I guess I'll go eat worms.
Big fat juicy ones,
little bitty skinny ones
o how they do squirm!"
Yes, I do know the rest of the song! But I'm not going to tell you!
(I don't know who wrote this, but I think it's very appropriate.)










We are studying worms. I gave Pie Pie the choice of what critters she wanted to study and this is what she picked. They are actually pretty interesting. They are annelids which means they are made up of segments or rings. They expand and contract to move. They are also very important to anyone who has a garden or likes to eat. They aerate and fertilize the soil. I love how all of our worms have their own personalities. Some are very slow. You actually have to poke them to make sure they are alive. The others are so fast. You can barely hold onto them. We even have one that likes to dance. It curls itself up and wiggles all around. Sometimes it makes itself into an "O" shape and flips. Pants loves to hold them. She says they are tickely and "so-so" cute! She takes them on a tour of her Daddy's things. Our worms are currently living in our basement. It is the best place for them. It's cold and dark. It also protects them from my girls because they are not allowed in the basement by themselves. I am honestly loving this summer project. Eventually we will release our worms into various yards and gardens. Worms they're "what's cool" this summer. At least at my house!

I want to give some love to Grammy for helping make this project happen!!

Getting the worm house ready.


Mixing up the dirt.


Putting the dirt in the worm house.



Can you see the worms in there?!

Pie Pie enjoying her worms.



We love worms!







No comments:

Post a Comment