Thursday, May 31, 2012

Art Lessons



By the time May rolls around we are all tired of "doing school". I'm talking about the ordinary stuff you just have to do everyday. So, I decide I'm ready for some fun! I got a little Art Unit ready. We have History, Reading and actually making some Art!
We started off with some fun books that I could get Pants and Pie Pie interested in easily. We read The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola and Mr. Panda's Painting by Anne Rockwell. These are both authors I know the girls already love. Then Pie Pie and I moved onto Inspirations: Stories About Women Artists by Leslie Sills. This was a wonderful book about four female artists. I would like to share some of the art by these very creative women.

The first woman was Georgia O'Keeffe. She painted beautiful paintings of nature.


Frida Kahlo was next and her paintings were a little dark. I felt it was because she was in a lot of pain most of her life. This was a way she could express her pain.

Alice Neel was the third artist in this book. She tried to paint people the way they were feeling inside. They weren't always pretty, but people aren't always happy.

Our last artist, Faith Ringgold, was not only a painter. She was a quilter who used fabric to tell her stories. The quilts are beyond beautiful!

We read some other books:
Beatrix Potter by Alexander Wallner,
All I See by Cynthia Rylant,
The Usbourne Book Of Art By Rose Dickens,
How Artists Use Color by Paul Flux and
123 I Can Paint by Irene Luxbacher.

123 I Can Paint was actually a step by step book that taught you how to paint all different kinds of pictures.
This one taught you how to mix primary colors to make secondary colors.


This one used different textures to paint a night sky.


I can't leave Pants out. She loved painting just as much as Pie Pie! This was one of her pieces of artwork. The paintings from this book were a little too much for her patience level at this time, but she was fine with doing her own thing. I was fine with it too!


We are moving onto sculpting!

No comments:

Post a Comment